In the quest for a low-sugar lifestyle, sometimes bread can get a bad rap.
Survey the bread aisle at any local grocery store and you’ll quickly begin to notice products that tout flavors and contents that lead to just one thing: added sugars.
Brown sugar, honey, molasses and raisin juice are just a few of the sweet additions found in popular breads and wraps. These added sugars can cause many clean eaters to duck and dive as soon as they see a loaf of honey-oat whole wheat coming their way.
But sometimes a lettuce wrap just won’t cut it. Sometimes, your almond butter and sliced pear need a bit of company.
When it comes to low-sugar lifestyles, bread can actually be a happy component—especially when it’s paired with protein-packed ingredients.
So how can you tell if a certain bread is a smart choice?
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3.
Look for bread that has:
- A simple, clean ingredient list with whole grains listed first.
- 100 calories or less.
- At least 2 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein.
A single slice of bread can contain 1 teaspoon or more of added sugars, or about 1/6 of your daily sugar recommendation, according to the American Heart Association.
To save you the hassle of sifting through the encyclopedia of ingredient labels on bread packages, we’ve done the legwork for you.
Here are some of our favorite breads and wraps, handpicked by a Spectrum Health registered dietitian and taste-tested by other dietitians:
- FlatOut multigrain bread with flax wrap: 100 calories, 17 grams carbs, 8 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 9 grams protein
- Food for Life 100 percent sprouted whole grain bread: 80 calories, 15 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar, 4 grams protein
- Food for Life cinnamon raisin 100 percent sprouted whole grain bread: 80 calories, 18 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar, 3 grams protein)
- La Tortilla Smart and Delicious soft wrap minis white whole wheat: 50 calories, 9 grams carbs, 6 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar, 4 grams protein
- La Tortilla Smart and Delicious 100-calorie whole wheat tortilla: 100 calories, 24 grams carbs, 8 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar, 5 grams protein
- Rudi’s Organic 7-grain and flax bread: 90 calories, 15 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar, 4 grams protein
- Rudi’s Organic 7-grain and flax wraps: 160 calories, 27 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 2 gram sugar, 5 grams protein