Try these 6 fun stocking stuffers
Give the gift of activity this holiday season.
Skip the tins of chocolate and instead stuff those stockings with items that are fun and support physical activity and exercise.
The Healthy Weight Center teamed up to share 6 fun toys and tools that will help you and your kiddos get and stay active.
1. Jump rope. A simple jump rope can be a fun way to get active, and you are not just limited to jumping rope. Use the rope in many ways to promote exercise. Make a limbo line, walk across the rope like a tight rope, or jump over the rope while it is on the ground. Be creative!
2. Frisbee. If you have children or pets, a Frisbee can be a great way to promote activity. If you have a lot of family, you can play ultimate Frisbee. It is like football with a Frisbee (and no tackling). You can find official rules at this link, make up your own, or just play together and move.
3. Any kind of sports ball. Since there are too many to name, we figured we would just include most sports equipment in this category, but a tennis ball, football, or Nerf ball would be a great way to encourage children to be active. Even better, you can play together! In the winter, get something you can use in the snow.
4. Hopping ball. You can find these at many toy stores. A hopping ball is a ball with a handle that kids can sit on and hop up and down. Adults should give it a try, too. It is harder than it looks and oh so much fun. Just inflate and bounce!
5. Hopscotch rug. If there is too much snow for hopscotch, play it indoors with this fun rug. Or make your own by using colorful painter’s tape on the floor.
6. Yoga cards. There are many different versions of these cards. When you draw a yoga card, try to do the yoga pose shown on the card. You can take them anywhere, and you just need a little bit of space for yoga.